However i need to set the width on creation of the grid.
I have tried
1) an onload event – No difference in size
2) autowidth: true – no change
3) shrinkToFit: true – no change (i think this is a default anyway)
4) width: null – this works. the grid takes up the full bootstrap div size but the columns are all wrong.
5) i have tried using the onLoadComplete event no good ether.
6) a number of fixes off SO that seem to work on paper but dont.
As i said the resize function works fine. All i can think of is that when the page load fires the grids have not finished their setup yet.